Strengthening and Supporting the Early Childhood Workforce: Training and Professional Development
The Early Childhood Workforce Initiative's Landscape Analysis Series takes a deeper look at key questions left unanswered concerning the global early childhood development workforce:
- What do early childhood professionals and paraprofessionals need to know and do in order to perform effectively?
- How do requisite knowledge and skills vary across contexts?
- What types of training and support do staff receive?
- How is the early childhood workforce recruited, monitored, and evaluated?
The second of these analyses, Supporting the Early Childhood Workforce: Training and Professional Development, takes a closer look at training and professional development opportunities for the early childhood workforce.
Taking into account the diverse backgrounds and experiences of individuals delivering ECD services, training and professional development programs offer an opportunity to impart a core set of knowledge and skills to members of the early childhood workforce, which is particularly important as programs look to scale and reach a greater number of young children and families. In addition, there is evidence to suggest that supporting individuals with such opportunities can influence child development outcomes.
This analysis, published in January of 2018, synthesizes evidence on the approaches to and challenges associated with training and professional development across the early childhood workforce. An extensive review of published and grey literature, and key informant interviews with ECD experts yielded 10 findings.
You can find the full Landscape Analysis in English below. You may also download the Executive Summary in English, French and Spanish.
- Training_Professional_Development.pdf (format PDF / 1 MB)
- Training_Professional_Development_ExecutiveSummary.pdf (format PDF / 721 KB)
- Training_Professional_Development_ExecutiveSummary_French.pdf (format PDF / 832 KB)
- Training_Professional_Development_ExecutiveSummary_Spanish.pdf (format PDF / 832 KB)